Supporting communities to build energy efficiency literacy
*Update: November 26th:
Energy Efficiency Alberta is increasing the maximum grant amount to $125,000 per application and extending the application deadline until December 31, 2018.
Please note that as of December 21st our office is closed for the holidays. If you are applying for an Energy Effiency Education Grant please submit your completed proposal and budget in accordance with the guidelines found here.
If you have issues or concerns with the application process, please try to proceed as best you can, we will follow up with you during on January 3rd if necessary.
We want to encourage both small and big projects, more diversity and increased participation in the energy efficiency education grant program. We think more time and additional flexibility in funding requests will allow more organizations to put their best ideas forward.
Given the increase in maximum grant amount, we will allow any applicants who have already submitted their application to reapply.
About the Program
Communities are not just the places in which we live. Communities are also the groups of people that we gather with to share interests, passions, or purpose. Alberta Ecotrust is excited to be collaborating with Energy Efficiency Alberta and supporting diverse communities in Alberta to engage in energy efficient actions in the places they work, live and play.
The Energy Efficiency Education Grant Program provides funding of up to $125,000 to organizations helping Albertans build awareness, skills and capacity to take action on energy efficiency and renewable energy. For a project to be eligible, it should create a measurable impact and align with one or more of the following program objectives:
- Leverage education related to enhancing energy efficiency
- Build capacity in communities to deliver GHG reductions
- Reduce GHG emissions in a measurable way that leverages learning
Program Details and Criteria
Alberta Ecotrust and Energy Efficiency Alberta are working together to administer and deliver the Energy Efficiency Education Grant Program. Through this collaboration, Alberta Ecotrust will deliver application coaching and debriefing to all applicants. All interested parties should contact us prior to submitting an application.
The following organizations should consider applying:
- ο Non-profit organizations
- ο Registered charities
- ο Co-operative organizations
- ο Community associations
- ο Education institutions (K-12)
- ο Educational groups or clubs (e.g. school clubs)
- ο Post-secondary education institutions
- ο Municipalities
- ο Indigenous communities or organizations
We encourage partnerships. Applications must be a single proposal, with partners listed under the Project Personnel section. Partners may be for-profits organizations, though the application must be submitted by an eligible organization.
Some examples of projects we would fund include:
- ο Education focused on the fundamentals of energy efficiency and/or renewable energy.
- ο Experiential, innovative activities or interactive learning tools that drive increased energy efficiency action.
- ο Awareness and monitoring of energy efficiency for buildings; includes technology, like meters, that facilitates learning.
- ο Training energy efficiency champions.
- ο Capacity building or technical training within or for use by businesses or organizations.
- ο Development of curriculum tied energy efficiency.
- ο Curriculum audit for energy efficiency and renewable energy content.
How to Apply
Step 2: Submit Application
Return the completed application form and additional documents to [email protected] by Midnight (MST), December 31st, 2018. Please use the subject line “Grant Application – (Community/Organization Name)”.
- ο You have read the program guidelines.
- ο You have contacted Alberta Ecotrust to discuss your project
- ο Your project addresses the program objectives
- ο Your organization is eligible to apply
- ο You have networked with those that are doing similar work to explore opportunities to collaborate
- ο You have reviewed our criteria and reviewed the Application Scorecard
- ο You have selected a short, simple and descriptive title for the project that makes sense to others
- ο Your purpose is clear and the proposal is free of jargon, abbreviations, etc.
- ο You have ensured that all calculations in your budget template are accurate and clearly identify all current and potential funding sources and expenses
AFTER YOU APPLY
Applicants will be notified of the decision via e-mail no later than January 31, 2019. Funding will be provided following the decision.
Projects will be funded to a maximum amount of $125,000. There is no lower limit; we encourage all applications, both big and small. We will accept one application per organization.
WATCH THE INFORMATION SESSION
On November 21st we invited interested parties to join us to learn more about the program. During this session, we shared:
- ο Introduction to the grant program
- ο The intent of the grants
- ο Program eligibility information
- ο Program application process
- ο Guidance on the kind of projects that can be funded under this program
You can access a recording of the webinar here: Energy Efficiency Education Grant Program Webinar
We strongly recommend all organizations contact us prior to submitting an application. You can reach us by completing the form below, by emailing [email protected], or by calling 403-209-2245.